Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow...One day I'll make it out

Friday, September 30, 2011

It's official...omg

I dedicate this piece to my AUC classmates-the nerdy bunch!!! 
Jan 08-May 12


We were so happy to meet each other. LOL. Fellow Americans in far away land. Studying medicine in paradise. Shots to that!!! Just so you know, I never did shots until New Years Eve 2008. But this called for a celebration. We effing made it to medical school!!!
1st things 1st, when I arrived the campus I stopped for a minute...you know, to take it in. Oh surely I had died and gone to heaven...except, I must have pinched myself a million times. So beautiful, and I was going to study here for the next 18 months. No bad consolation for US rejection.
So I proceeded to my dorm. Turns out I was in the A room. No good because 1) my bathroom was separate from my room and 2) I had no view of the lagoon. Once again, the forces of the universe had conspired against me. And how my roommate had gotten lucky with the B room was probably by chance alone, yet I refused to bow to that fate. The advantage of being an early bird is that I could switch a few things with the roommate. But you see, I didn't only switch a few things around...I swapped our rooms!!! Ok calm down, it's not what you think. No cut-throat, sneaky business here; I simply went to the housing office, and explained to them that for (blablabla) reason I had to get the B room. I eventually met my roommate-perhaps one of the nicest people in my class. I often wondered what if she'd found out. Dude, she totally loved her A room.
Bit by bit, the campus filled with freshmen. Orientation-how to succeed in medical school: go to class everyday, study 4-5 hours after class, get a good night sleep 8hours minimum. Hold on a second, you lost me at 5 hours of studying. Yet little did we know that most of this was insanely indispensable for med school, and that some of us would find out the hard way. We were so naive, so happy, but it was ok. It was ok to sigh when orientation was finally over. And it was definitely ok to take shots after our white coat ceremony. Because that was like our honeymoon, which was about to end. It was the only time we would be together-all 81 of us, with the same spirit...let's start this and kick some butt! Yes, it was ok to be merry for little did we know that the following day we would start losing comrades...

2 comments:

  1. no wonder that u got that room. u often end up getting what u want right

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting question. I need to think hard about this one lol

    ReplyDelete