Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow...One day I'll make it out

Friday, September 30, 2011

Sint Maarten...

Philipsburg, St Maarten




Yes, this is where I went to med school.
And I loved every minute of it.
For the longest time, my friends thought it was a
prank lol.

How did I focus? Well, I sort of learnt what worked for me. If I had an incredibly strong urge to lay at the beach all day, I just took my books along. 

1st things 1st, some history:
St Maarten is a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. It encompasses the southern half of Saint Martin island, while the northern half of the island constitutes the French overseas collectivity of St Martin 
Philipsburg
Its capital is PhilipsburgBefore 10 October 2010, Sint Maarten was known as the Island Territory of Sint Maarten and was one of the five territories that made up the Netherland Antilles. Now Sint Maarten is a constituent country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, making it a constitutional equal partner with the Netherlands proper. The population of the entire island is about 74,852 inhabitants, with 38,927 living on the Dutch side, and 35,925 on the French side. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sint_Maarten)

What I loved so much about Sxm was its explosion of cultures. A 37 sq miles island governed by two nations-the Netherlands and France. Residents from 70-some different countries. I felt right at home. What you got, French or English? Bring it!!! The French side reminded me so much of Cameroon: zouk love music, the "laisser-faire" attitude and sometimes, the food. And don't get me started on the food. Over 400 restaurants ranging from elegant French cuisine, Thai, Indian, sidewalk cafes, to American fast food.  What more can I say? The place was perfect!!!
Maho beach, Cupecoy

The Cupecoy beach, 5 minute walk away from campus. I came here to relieve the stress. The waves, the waves, the waves...
There was also a golf course nearby, which was to be "avoided by all means" after dark. Lol Silly Americans!!!
So where did I live? I'm sure you remember-in the dorm. Room B!!! I thought maybe you would understand where I came from if I showed you this:
The View (Pointe Pirouette)
Of course, no good thing last forever. Had to move out at the end of the semester to make room for the incoming freshmen. But guess what, my next place was even better,but that's another story.

3 comments: