Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow...One day I'll make it out

Monday, October 10, 2011

Dollar Value in The Classroom

Major topic of discussion - how do kids pay for med school? In my class, we have 3 populations:
Just like you'd expect, the majority of students mostly Americans, are on student loans. The borrowers! Then you have a small portion of students who pay out of pocket. The ballers!Usually from families of doctors. And then you have an even smaller subset, a handful of international students such as myself, known as the Foreigners! Not eligible for student loans based on the requirement for either US citizenship or Permanent Residency (the Green Card).
So how do Foreigners pay for med school? Family funds, friendly contributions or micro banking loans aka "njangis" from home. Pretty much any means one can think of as long as it's legit. Of course, not always consistent, and a pain in the ass when dealing with an angry landlord, a hungry stomach and costly exams.
And did I tell you EVERYTHING is expensive for med students nowadays? I noticed that prices qua-triple once people find out you're medically affiliated; kind of like a conspiracy. So am I a med student when it involves paying for a flu shot that I know is free for everyone else? Certainly NOT!!! I keep it on the DL.
But despite the regular tuition hikes and the surreal maneuvers to remain a soon-to-be Medical Grad (Amen to that), I must say it's worth it. And it's a privilege. We're all privileged - whether Foreigner, American, Baller or whatever - to work in one of the most honorable and prestigious professions. Unlike several others, we're lucky to have this opportunity so showing some gratitude once in a while isn't a bad idea. As for me, I never knew I would say this, but I believe the worst is behind me. Catch you on the flip side with my MD!!!

2 comments:

  1. what kind of njangis can yield enuff cash to cover med tuitions for say one semester only??

    ReplyDelete