Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow...One day I'll make it out

Friday, December 2, 2011

Gloomy days ahead??? Part Uno

It always feels good to run into someone who follows my blog. Usually they have some good things to say (not that I can't handle criticism or anything like that). Who knows they might be withholding the not-so-nice things, but bottom line is it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.


So I haven't blogged for almost a couple of months now. Although there was a bit of a writer's block going on that wasn't exactly the main reason for the inactivity. Truth is I have been pre-occupied with this whole residency application thing. In fact, last week I received a survey from my soon-to-be alma mater. Due to an ongoing transition to a new buyer, perhaps they saw it fit to seek our opinion vis-a-vis their services. I nonchalantly clicked my way through the online device, knowing that this would be the only way to get them off my back. And as I got to the final question which inquired how likely I was to recommend my school to someone else, my mind couldn't help but wonder...


4 hardworking years finally coming to an end yet my overall perspective gloomier than ever.  After the final click on my ERAS application, I thought the gymnastics was over with. After all, getting those letters of recommendations had not been simple. Getting those Usmle scores mos def had not been easy. And the personal statement...the writing and re-writing and proof-reading...what a pain! I thought after undergoing this excruciating and extremely pricy process (yes, these applications aren't free) all I had to do was to sit back and relax. Watch the interviews fall in my lap? NOT!!! Instead I find myself 43 applications later almost bald from the stress of receiving massive rejection email. Ok can someone re-define a competitive candidate to me because I'm so confused right now? Whatever happened to having good Usmle scores? A bunch of my colleagues, all of them renowned 99ers yet barely getting any interviews. What is happening to our world today???


That's how I got to thinking. A few sleepless nights and then my lightbulb moment! Could it be that the perfect applicant is not only the American Grad but the guy without the Visa issue? I know this is already common knowledge; the difference is that contrary to popular belief, excellent scores can't rescue you anymore. This year, there's plenty of international applicants with near-perfect Usmle scores who are ripping their hair out of frustration; they aren't getting interviews. Ok I get it, we are in America so it makes sense to prioritize Americans. Fair enough. But the foreigners can't be completely be marginalized either because we work our asses off like everyone else. We got the same type of education (and may I say for almost twice the cost in undergrad) and I thought there was suppose to be a shortage of doctors anyway. So what's this really about? Is Homeland Security involved? Is this another means of "closing the border"?


Anyhoo, back to my interview issue. It's quite sad that things are taking a bad turn. Once upon a time, getting into med school and scoring high on the boards were adequate to obtain a residency. That's obviously not good enough nowadays. Add Green Card/Citizenship to the top of the list, and then we can start talking. Sounds like gloomy days ahead to me, but only time will tell I guess. 


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment